Bacopa Monnieri is considered a very effective natural nootropic supplement. The extract comes from a plant that originates from North India and it was proved to bring benefits for the brain’s health by increasing cognitive abilities and boosting memory.
Benefits for the Brain
In Ayurvedic medicine, Bacopa Monnieri was prescribed for centuries for both children and adults for improving brain’s abilities. The extract of this plant is often compared to Piracetam due to its excellent results in eliminating the source of anxiety. Unlike many memory supplements available on the market, this is a natural product extracted from crushed leaves. The compounds obtained from this plant are very efficient on a large variety of health problems like joint pains and even epileptic seizures. Modern studies on this plant show that its properties are not just a myth.
- The proven benefits of this supplement are:
- Improving the memory if used for long-term
- Improving signs of anxiety and mild depression
- Improving the ability to focus for longer periods of time
- Enhancing the brain’s cells ability to communicate
- Controlling the levels of Serotonin and Dopamine
The secret for these great benefits is that Bacopa monitors the loss of dopamine and stimulates the production of serotonin, two hormones with an important role in maintaining the mental health. They help eliminate stress, boost memory and improve the mood. The extract from this plant is rich in Bacoside A, a natural herbal compound which acts as an electric impulse to activate the nerve cell receptors resulting in better communication between the brain’s cells.
Usage and Doses
This dietary supplement can be used equally by children and adults that need help for dealing with different anxiety related disorders. The main effects of this nootropic are reducing hyperactive thought, calming the mind and improving mood for people suffering from mild depression.
Years of medical studies revealed that the recommended dose for anyone following a Bacopa Monnieri treatment, regardless the age, is 300 mg per day. The effects don’t show immediately, it might take some time to notice an improvement. Increasing the daily dosage will not bring benefits faster, instead, it might generate side effects.
Reported Side Effects
For most people, this product is perfectly safe as it is a natural supplement. Even so it is advised not to take Bacopa if you follow an anti-depressive treatment with Prozac or Lexapro. Also, it is contraindicated to take this supplement if you have high blood pressure or suffer from liver and thyroid disorder because the problems could get worse.
- Among the most frequent cons suggested by customers are:
- Stomach discomfort, especially if not taken after meal
- The product is fat soluble, so it must be used with a lipid source
- It takes about 8 to 12 weeks of treatment before noticing any improvement
- The powder doesn’t have excellent taste, it is rather bitter
- The supplement performs better combined with other substances, while taken alone it has limited impact on the cognitive performance
Most patients reported stomach pain when taking Bacopa Monnieri. If the symptoms persist for a longer period you must stop the treatment. An alternative easier for the stomach is Bacopa Tea.